The unforgettable and irreplaceable John Dengate sadly left us for the great gig in the sky on the 1st August 2013.
His lovely funeral and memorial service took place on Thursday 8 August 2013 at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium, North Ryde, followed by an afternoon tea. A rousing wake was then held in Glebe at the Friend In Hand Hotel.
REPORTS, PHOTOS + VIDEOS FROM THE SERVICE + WAKE
- Read the BMC blog of the service, which includes words spoken and eulogies by MC David Iverach, Dale Dengate, Sean Dengate and Chris Woodland.
- Read the BMC blog report on the funeral afternoon tea.
- Wayne Richmond took some lovely photos on the day, which you can view here.
- Read the BMC blog report on the wake at Friend In Hand.
- Watch the videos of songs and stories filmed at the wake.
EULOGIES, ARTICLES, POEMS + SONGS IN TRIBUTE TO JOHN
Eulogies from the John Dengate Memorial Service – MC David Iverach, Dale & Sean Dengate, Chris Woodland, August 2013
ARTICLES + BLOGS IN MEMORIAM
‘John Dengate, Australian Son’ – Slideshow – Cobargo Folk Festival, February 2014
‘John Dengate, Australian Son’ – Blog Article – Cobargo Folk Festival, February 2014
‘Paean for John Dengate’ – John Warner, September 2013
‘We Won’t See His Like’ – John Warner, September 2013
‘Gone is the Seannachie’ – John and Jenni Cole Warner, August 2013
‘John Dengate: National Treasure’ – Sandra Nixon, NSW Folk Federation & Bush Music Club
‘The Legend of John Dengate’ – Cj Shaw, Timber & Steel, September 2013
‘Lawson Heir Left Mark On Folklore’ – Warren Fahey, SMH, August 2013
SONGS + POEMS FOR JOHN
‘The One To Leave’ – A poem for John by Doug Jenner
‘Farewell Mr Dengate’ – Martin Doherty’s song for John
Tribute Songs & Messages – From the Bush Music Club Blog
MEMORIALS + CONCERTS
A number of memorial concerts and sessions were also arranged, several which are now annual events.
- Get info on the Memorials + Concerts here.
- Check out the Videos + Photos from Wake and Memorial Concerts.
To add or remove links, photos or videos, please email Leyne on firstname.lastname@example.org